Friday, May 10, 2013

Happy Weekend!!

Image by Marie Labbancz

Happy Weekend Everyone!!!

Well..we are now officially in the month of May!!
Hooray!!
It is by far one of my favorite months...
Wedding season has begun...
The oaks and elms are a mass of 100 shades of green...
 while hues ranging from white to light pink to fuchsia dance on the flowering trees..
The grass is delicate and soft beneath bare feet...
The air is perfumed with the scent of lilacs, viburnums, cherry, apple and pear blossoms.
It doesn't get any better than this!

For all you May babies...
Did you know that Lily of the Valley is YOUR flower?
Well it is...

Some of the most elegant and graceful women of our time have carried Lily of the Valley as they walked down the aisle..
In the Language of Flowers, the Lily of the Valley is representative of sweetness, humility, returning happiness and trustworthiness.
,
But for me..
The Lily of the Valley has GREAT significance....
I literally cannot pass by them without thinking of my Grandmother or Mother...

My Grandmother had them planted along a secret pathway to her pool...
It was most definitely, without a doubt..a fairy pathway...
When my Grandmother passed and the house was sold...
My Mother scooped them up and replanted them at my parents house right by their pool...

When the Tall one and I purchased our antiquated farmhouse...
My Mother once again lovingly scooped some of them up and we planted them amongst the lilacs and the giant spruces..
(It would have sounded SOO much cooler if I said pool right?!) 

So as the pips begin to emerge from the new spring soil..
I think of these lovely ladies...
and immediately (no thanks to my mother)
have this song run from the top of my brain to the very tip of my tongue..
Funny how things get passed down..
Since the very first time the Monster could sing..
My Mother and my Mom in Law both taught him this little ditty...
In fact..
If you just utter the first three words "white coral bells'..
he will sing the..whole..song...
it doesn't matter where he is..
the shower, up a tree, getting off the bus, riding a bike, getting dressed or even eating..
anyplace anytime anywhere..
He just can't help it..he has to finish the song..
I just tested him this morning..
kicking a ball..waiting for the bus..
3 little words..
Bam!
It's a fun party trick and I invite anyone to try it if they see him...

So whether it's seeing those delicate coral bells or hearing their song..
we both think of our lovely mothers, grandmothers and great grandmothers...

Happy Mother's Day to all you beautiful ladies...
We'll be singing your song...

Be Safe, Call Your Mother and Have a Great Mother's Day Weekend!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, this post! That first image is one of my favorites, but I had no idea until I started to scroll just how much gorgeous I was about to get into–happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete