Friday, May 17, 2013

Happy Weekend!!

Image by Parker Fitzgerald Florals by Amy Merrick

Happy Weekend Everyone!!!

I know it's the month of May..
But..
Today felt a little like Christmas...

A very special package arrived on my doorstep this morning....
Image by Chocolate Creative Design

For all my followers...
You definitely know by now that I am obsessed with gardening...
Normally, I buy ALL my flowers and vegetables for planting at our local garden center...
But this year..
This year is different....

White Flower Farm is still considered local as it's based in Connecticut..
But..
It's like buying a pair of Louboutins.. 
In my case..
only for special occasions..

Ok Ok Ok...
I'll tell you what's in the box...
Only THE finest, THE most glorious and THE most beautiful dozen Dahlia tubers one has ever seen...

You see...
besides My loveliest of Ladies,
(image by Adeline and Grace)
 There are 3 other floral designers whose work I greatly admire...

(obsessed with her blog)

and
 So what is it about these 4 extremely talented women that has inspired me so??

Well..
They all share the same style...
They all LOVE Dahlias...
Maybe they too wasted countless hours viewing a gazillion slides in numerous Art History classes only to be inspired by the Dutch Masters...
Perhaps...

But I have to say...
There are 3 even lovelier ladies who were creating arrangements within the same genre WAY before the previous ladies were even a thought in the universe...

The Ladies of the Big House on Island Farm...
Image by Chocolate Creative Design

I wrote a POST about them last September regarding their dedication and cultivation of the Dahlias in the garden...
But I really didn't describe to you what wonderfully talented floral designers they all are...

If one is lucky enough to walk into the Big House during the summer, you will be immediately greeted with the most divine works of art..

Dahlias, honeysuckle, dill flowers, sweet peas, berries, roses and numerous other floral & fauna meticulously gathered from the Island gently sway and dance from vintage copper and iron frogs in breathtaking pewter compotes.

They had me at hello...
I was hooked by their magical abilities...

They allowed me to watch...
To take in their secrets...

In fact...at a mere 11 months..
They allowed the Monster to have his first gardening experience..
THE planting of the Dahlia tubers in May...

Crawling through the freshly plowed garden and covered from head to toe in dirt he found joy in the empty dahlia barrel from where they overwintered...
Nervous that I had now maybe ruined my chances at learning their secrets...
Fear covered my face...
But...
Giggles emerged...
Lots of giggles....
He may not have been baptised in a church...
but he was most certainly baptised in the garden at the Island...

So now...
In just one short week...
we will be planting our own dahlias...
we will be arranging our own dutch inspired creations...
and
we will be carrying on the traditions of the Ladies of the Island..

Be Safe, Plant a Garden and Have a Great Weekend!!

2 comments:

  1. Litchfield is the home to the Casadei clan, dear Nona had beautiful Dahlias....and White Flower Farm is a "comfort shop"!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Dahlias, I just know they're going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete